This is a very simple recipe that my mom Carla used to make for our family growing up and so did many other moms. We would just stand over the kitchen waiting for it to be done only to be told every time that it had to cool off. We'd sulk off or mumble about how we didn't see why it made any darn difference since. I don't ever remember ever having leftovers in the house! I have also been making this since I became a wife and mom on days when I want to show my family some love. They love this dish, mostly rushing through dinner making sure to save room for their banana pudding. This is easy to make, only takes about twenty minutes or so to make and will be a staple in your recipe book the first time you make it. Don't let that meringue make you nervous, it's so easy.
- 2 Large boxes of cook and serve Jello banana pudding. The instant stuff just doesn't taste the same!
- 5 Bananas. Make sure they are not under or overripe.
- 1 Box of vanilla wafers
- 6 Cups of milk
- Make banana pudding according to directions for making pudding.
- Line a large casserole dish with vanilla wafers
- Slice bananas and place a layer over the vanilla wafers
- Pour half of the pudding over the bananas and repeat the vanilla wafer and banana step. Finish this by pouring the remaining pudding over the top.
- Now slip vanilla wafers in a ring around the edge of the casserole dish. I'll post a picture below for this part.
- 6 Eggs Whites
- 2 dashes Cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Separate the eggs and whip them a bit, add those dashed of cream of tartar and then add sugar slowly about 30 seconds after you start to whip. Whip until firm peaks for. To check this simply make sure that when you pull the beater up that it looks like a little mountain peak. Picture below. You did it!
- Spread your beautiful meringue over the pudding and pop it in the oven until it turns light brown.
- Take it out, fight off the family fiends with their spoons and lock it in the fridge for a couple of hours. Enjoy and make sure you get some!